Pupil Leadership Team
Underpinning the involvement of children in the running of our school is a belief that the more children are actively invested in a school the greater their contribution towards it will be. This has a profound effect on learning, as invested children make good learners. Additionally, at our school we believe that involving children in decision making and ambassadorial roles will generate an ambitious and aspirational atmosphere in which children will want to succeed and will develop key skills which be invaluable to them in later life, particularly when entering the work place.
The key vehicle for pupil leadership in our school is the Pupil Leadership Team and within that there are sub groups which meet to discuss various specific issues and act as ambassadors.
PUPIL LEADERSHIP TEAM (PLT)
- Each year every class elects two representatives (a boy and a girl) to be their school council representatives.
- The school council meets regularly with a member of SLT to discuss whole school issues and it allows the children’s voice to be heard, topics can range from making decisions on the learning environment to deciding on elements of the curriculum and even being involved in staff recruitment processes.
- In addition to the main PLT there are sub groups which meet regularly, these include the Sports committee and the Environmental Committee.
- The Sports Committee discusses school games, gets wider views about how other children’s experiences of PE vary and help to organise lunch time sport activities.
- The Environmental Committee discusses ways in which the school can support the environment and helps raise awareness around school concerning environmental issues.
We operate a system of ambassadors in our school for certain key areas. Ambassadors act as representatives and will have a key understanding of the role they play, they are trained and have expertise in their particular area. Some ambassadorial roles include:
- Anti-bullying ambassadors
- Play Leader ambassadors
- House Captains – who lead house events such as sports day and charity fundraising days and are responsible for the weekly tally and reporting of the House Winners.
PLT ACTIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- completed anti-bulling ambassador training
- delivered a whole school assembly on anti-bullying
- raised money for a Buddy Bench
- competed tours of the school
- got more seats on the playground
- campaigned for more recycling bins around the school